The “Ristorante Angiolina” in Marina di Pisciotta is very pleased to present some typical dishes of the Cilento cuisine and in particular of the Pisciotta cuisine.
We have chosen for you some typical dishes of the spring and summer period.
As you can see, in the recipes we haven’t mentioned the quantity of ingredients as being traditional dishes its quantities are calculated roughly.
The basic ingredients are olive oil, anchovies, vegetables (particularly the tomato), aromatic herbs such as oregano and basil, and goat cheeses .
ALICI RIPIENE (Stuffed anchovies)
Fresh anchovies, eggs, goat cheese, parsley, black pepper, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic cloves, onions, basil, salt, flour.
1. Bone the anchovies
2. Prepare a semi-dense stuffing with beaten eggs, grated goat cheese, chopped parsley, ground black pepper, salt. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan prepare the tomato sauce with small ripe fresh tomatoes, olive oil, chopped garlic cloves, small onions and some basil. Set aside.
4. Put on a boned anchovy some stuffing covering it with another anchovy (like a sandwich); continue in this way with other anchovies.
5. Lightly flour the anchovies so prepared and fry in abundant olive oil until both stuffing and fish are done.
6. Remove from pan and put them in saucepan with tomato sauce at low heat for about five minutes.
ALICI ALL’INSALATA (Raw anchovies with lemon)
Fresh anchovies, lemon juice, parsley, garlic cloves, salt.
1. Bone the anchovies and set them in a large plate and season with salt, abundant lemon juice chopped parsley and chopped garlic cloves.
2. Let them marinate for 10-15 minutes.
3. Before serving take away some of the liquid formed and dress with olive oil.
CAURARO (Stewed vegetables with anchovies)
Fresh anchovies and salt anchovies, fresh onions, beet, chicory, new potatoes, fresh broad beans or/and fresh peas, wild Mediterranean fennel, olive oil, salt.
1. In a quite high pot put some olive oil and place the fresh onions, chopped, a few garlic cloves and salt anchovies fillets, cook over low heat, stirring, until both garlic and onion take on colour.
2. Add some chopped wild Mediterranean fennel; let it flavour for about 3 minutes and cover with water.
3. When starts boiling after 5 minutes add chicory and beet cut in small pieces of about 10 cm.
4. Add the new potatoes cut in quite large pieces and, after a while, some fresh broad beans or/and fresh peas. While cooking add as much water as needed to cover vegetables.
5. When all vegetables are done, sprinkle with salt and add fresh boned anchovies as to form a layer and cook for 5-6 minutes.
SCAROLA RIPIENA (Stuffed escarole)
There are two ways of preparing stuffing.
1° way: escarole, breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, grated goat cheese, olive oil, onion, garlic cloves, black pepper;
2° way: escarole, breadcrumbs, black olives without stone, salt capers, salt anchovies, pine nuts, black pepper.
Mix together breadcrumbs, beaten eggs, black pepper, grated goat cheese, parsley. Put the stuffing in the middle of escarole tuft close and tie it with thread.
In a saucepan put olive oil with onion and chopped garlic cloves and cook at low heat, when they take on colour, add some water or vegetable soup and simmer, covered until done.
The same filling can be used to prepare STUFFED ARTICHOKES
TORTINO DI ALICI (Anchovies “au gratin”)
Fresh anchovies grated bread, parsley, oregano, white wine, garlic cloves, black pepper, salt, olive oil.
1. In a large saucepan put some olive oil. Sprinkle a sufficient quantity of grated bread as to cover the bottom, some chopped garlic cloves, parsley.
2. Lay boned anchovies trying not to leave empty spaces.
3. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil.
4. Form three layers like this. Last layer must be seasoned as others.
5. Spray with white wine and bake at a temperature of 180°C for about 15 minutes until the grated bread takes on colour.
PATATA RIPIENA (Stuffed potato)
Potato, egg, grated goat cheese, raisins, pine nuts, basil, mozzarella cheese, salami, olive oil.
For the tomato sauce: tomatoes, olive oil, and basil.
1. Peal a quite large potato. Carefully remove the inner part leaving a small opening on top and a shell about 1 cm thick.
2. Chop the removed inner part of potato and fry in olive oil until smooth.
3. Remove from pan and put it in a bowl, mix with raisins, previously soaked in warm water, pine nuts, grated goat cheese, chopped basil, egg, mozzarella cheese cut into pieces, chopped salami.
4. Fill the shell with the mixture and fry until smooth.
5. Remove from pan and put in a saucepan with a light tomato sauce and basil and cook at low heat until done.
MELENZANE RIPIENE con fagiolini larghi (Stuffed eggplants with green beans)
Eggplants (medium size), pasta “tubetti”, olives, capers, salt anchovies, tomatoes, oregano, basil, mozzarella cheese, grated goat cheese, fresh green beans.
For the sauce: tomatoes, onions, and olive oil.
1. Carefully remove the eggplant pulp, chop it and stew in saucepan. Remove.
2. In a bowl mix with mozzarella cheese, chopped basil, olives without stone, capers, uncooked pasta, chopped tomatoes, grated goat cheese, oregano.
3. Fill the shells with the mixture, close the top with a piece of eggplant and a toothpick.
4. Stew in a pot together with the green beans.